Sunday 29 May 2011

White Crow

By Marcus Sedgwick

This book is about two girls who have an odd friendship that turns patchy in some places. After Rebecca and her Father move to Winterfold, Rebecca soon meets a girl called Ferelith, who is very well known around the area and has had a horrible start to her life.

My favourite Character is Rebecca because I like to involve myself in the story, to do this I try and tell characters what to do! Rebecca is an easy target and I can’t help it but keep asking questions. For instance when she followed Ferelith into the tunnel I kept asking ‘why?’ after all the times Ferelith had put her through a huge panic and pain for a joke, and then she just let Ferelith comfort her! However I did think Rebecca chose correct here: ‘Ferelith’ she said ‘I only want you to show me the way out of this place, and then I never want to see you again, as long as I live. Right?’ I thought here it vas very powerful by the use of the short sentences and the way she said it!

The first page had me gripped, I couldn’t put the book down and it was a very good storyline. I think it had a good pace that sometimes got quite fast, I think the reason for this was because the book itself was very easy to read. When I read the first few diary entries of the Religious man I was very lost but it soon came together and I started to understand who he was. I did have to guess when Fereith said, ‘The girl had to go, that was all I thought. I’d had enough of her, and she had to go, and find out for both of us what lies on the other side.’ I assumed she meant Rebecca but she actually meant herself.

Overall I thought this book was very good for my first read of a Gothic Novel! The only part that did annoy me was the Religious Man, because you wanted to find out what happens next in the story and then he pops up! Apart from that this book was good and an enjoyable read!

Review by Fiona, Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.