Thursday 19 May 2011

Prisoner of the Inquisition

This book is set in Spain around the time of the Spanish Inquisition and it is about a girl called Zarita and a boy called Saulo. Zarita is the daughter of a rich magistrate and Saulo is a beggar’s son. When Zarita’s mother and newborn brother die, Saulo’s dad is executed by the magistrates. Saulo wants revenge on Zarita’s family and he goes off in search of this. On his travels he meets Christopher Columbus, famous explorer.

I really liked Saulo as he had an interesting story to tell about his voyages. The parts about him were in detail and I could picture the scene clearly in my head. I thought that the way Theresa Breslin wrote from both Saulo and Zarita’s point of view was very interesting and it hinted to you that something was going to happen and they would meet at some stage in the book. The story kept you hooked all of the time and you wanted to read on to find out what happens. At some points, the plot was fast paced, whereas in others it was slower. When one of the narrators had finished speaking, the chapter would leave you on a cliff-hanger and you’d want to move on and find out more but ther was the other narrator first. This kept alternating and kept up my concentration the whole way through.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and I couldn’t put the book down. The beginning was slow to start with and I found it a little confusing at times but it picked up again later on in the book and made up for it. I especially enjoyed Saulo’s adventures with Christopher Columbus as you didn’t know where his route would take him next. It was a great book to read!

By Ben, Year 8

4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you on this one. For me Saulo's commentary was the most boring part =(.
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked his commentary only after he had seen Zarita, before that I found it slightly irrelevant to the rest of the story, it did add to his character though (it meant you found out more what sort of person he was) and I liked how Breslin used Christopher Columbus (a well known name).
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, once he met Zarita again in the court it did improve a bit. Also when he set fire to the house.
    Elle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.