Sunday 8 May 2011

The Death Defying Pepper Roux

By Geraldine McCaughrean

Pepper Roux’s mother was told that her little boy would never live beyond the age of 14. Pepper’s aunt claimed that Saint Constance told her this in a dream. Pepper runs away and escapes on his father’s ship. He keeps changing his name and almost everything about him, but he always thinks he is seeing angels sent to kill him or fiery chariots to take him away.

The only character I liked in the book was Duchesse. I really liked his kindness and his selflessness. I thought it was really sweet when Duchesse told Pepper that he was like the son he had never had. I also liked that he only ever seemed to wear clothes from strange and exotic countries. I didn’t really like any of the other characters and I found them really boring. I got really annoyed with Pepper towards the end of the book, because his Aunt Mirelle had warped his head. He thought all the statues could move and that all of the people were angels out to get him.

The plot was really interesting, and when I first read the back of the book, I thought that I would enjoy the book. I think the reason I didn’t enjoy the book was because of the way it was written. I think the characters were dull and most of the events weren’t very exciting.

I’m not exactly sure how the book could have been written better , and it is definitely better than anything I could ever do, but I didn’t really enjoy this book and I found it quite hard to get through.

By Molly (Year 7)

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.