Tuesday 10 May 2011

Prisoner of the Inquisition

By Theresa Breslin

Zarita was the only child of a town magistrate. Her mother had just given birth to a baby boy, and she was not well, so Zarita went to the church to light a candle for her mother. A poor man from the slums came to beg, but he touched her, so he was hanged. His son Saulo was sent away to become a slave on a Christopher Columbus’ ship. Saulo swear to return and kill the magistrate and his family.

I loved Saulo and Zarita. There are very few books where my favourite characters are on the ‘good side’, but this was definitely on of them! I loved their relationship towards the end of the book, and I almost cried when they found out who the other was. I also really liked Loretta and how Zarita was terrified when she found out how like Loretta she really was. I loved the twist at the end, especially because I found Zarita’s aunt really boring.

The plot was really interesting, and I thought it was really clever the way everything came together in the end. Although I found Saulo’s narration a little bit boring at first.

I really liked the double-sided narration and seeing what Zarita and Saulo thought of each other. The twist at the end was really clever, and I was so relieved when it happened

I loved this book and I would recommend it to almost anyone. The only bit I didn’t really enjoy was the beginning. I would have also liked a description of what Zarita and Saulo looked like earlier in the book, because you only found out when they were describing each other towards the end.

By Molly (Year 7)

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.