Sunday 22 May 2011

White Crow

By Marcus Sedgwick

This book is about Rebecca, a girl from the city, who goes to live in Winterfold with her father, who makes friends with the strange Ferelith. Their friendship a strange one and is the starter of many weird events. Rebecca doesn't have a very good relationship with her Father and they are always avoiding each other. It flicks between the present day and two centuries ago, when the two people often walk the same path.

I really enjoyed reading this book, although did find it confusing in some ways. I thought the way Sedgwick described the characters feelings was very impressive, and I liked how their actions were always important in some way or another. I particularly liked the explanation behind Rebecca and her Fathers arguments and relationship was clever.

My favourite part of the book was when Ferelith and Rebecca met. I liked this bit because I thought it seemed weird and Ferelith came across as quite mysterious. I didn't really like Ferelith as a character becuase she did things I think were quite mean, but I liked the sense of unexpectedness she gave to the book.

I thought the idea of two different people living at different times, but in the same place, was very good but I did sometimes think the one living hundreds of years ago dragged on a bit about God and hell and heaven. Although I didn't really like that, others might and I think it gave you a true sense of how that person might feel if they were real.

I conclusion, I thought it was a good book, with a sense of mystery and the way it is written is very clever.It isn't the kind of book I would pick up off the shelf, but I'm glad I have read it.

By Emily, Year 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.