Saturday 21 May 2011

Monsters Of Men Patrick Ness

The endless War. Todd and Viola only want peace but with invading armies of the answer, the mayor’s (David Prentiss) own army and the spackle it’s going to be hard. But will love trump hate or will the noise of battle still ring loud in the mayor’s ears. But does war make monsters of men or does it make a boy become a man? The mayor believes the latter.
The book is fantastic I love the characters and I love the story line. A beautifully written novel with drama, war, romance and pain.
My favourite character was probably Viola because she has attitude and she stands up for herself. She is also kind hearted and giving. I didn’t like Todd so much because he never stands up for himself really and he just does whatever people tell him he basically has no independence. The mayor still wants to fight even though it costs him the life of many of his army. He also can’t stand losing and he likes to get his own way.
“Monsters of Men” is the 3rd book in the series “chaos walking” and I think before you read this one you need to reads the first two like I have. I really hate the wait between each book as Ness tends to leave the end of the first two books on a cliff hanger because I was desperate to read the next one and find out what happens.
I thought however the book was a little too long and it spent ages saying one simple thing. It could have been so much shorter and think the length puts people of from reading it. This is a real shame because it’s a great book.
One of the reasons the book is so long is because it vividly describes everything from the scenery to the people. This can be a good thing and a bad thing it’s good because it paints a picture in your head but it’s bad because it doubles the length of the book.
Like nearly all the books nominated for Carnegie this year it changes perspective so you have to make sure you read at the top of the page who is talking and due to Ness’ brilliant description whose eyes you are looking through.
It’s a very unique book and I absolutely adored well done Ness and I look forward to reading more books by you.
Review by Yasmin Year 7

4 comments:

  1. my sixth review written and published. please comment and let me know what you think thanks


    Yasmin Year 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, Year 1222 May 2011 at 05:22

    Glad you liked it!
    I have to disagree with you on Todd - I think he is the sweetest, most wonderful character ever! He doesn't stand up for himself because he cannot risk the danger to Viola!
    Still, a great review! (It's always good to disagree...)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i suppose he has some good qualities, but still being able to stand up for yourself is a very important quality and that weighs him down a lot. He may be kind and sweet but I still don't like him


    Yasmin year 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally believe that Todd does stand up for himself, but if it will harm viola in any way he won't do it. He loves her too much. personally I love Todd, he's so sophisticated in his emotions and such a kind, caring guy. at the end of the book (not going to spoil it, but those who've read it will know what I mean) I honestly was rendered useless for the several hours, and even the I struggled to sleep! I cared about Todd and Viola that much...

    Will YR8

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.