Friday 20 May 2011

White Crow

By Marcus Sedgwick

White Crow is about a girl that visits the town of Winterfold for the Summer with her dad to escape some of the events of the past. When Rebecca arrives her newfound friend Ferelith seems rather strange, obsessed by a question that has plagued those centuries before her in the same little town.

I thought the book was good. It was a bit unexpected and though at first Ferelith seemed scary and strange to the point of a stalker maybe I think by the end you understand who she really is. My favourite character was the religious man who wrote the diary entries throughout various points in the book. I didn’t especially like him as person, indeed he seemed a rather cruel character but I think he was developed well. You could understand his obsession, his need to find out the answer, these were driven by his own preaching. I think he was definitely a motivated character but also extremely selfish and fickle. After all that had happened he decided that all of his beliefs were either false or should be changed in some way. I found the story was gripping but I can’t identify why. The book was rather intriguing, although there was plot I did not really know where the story went. All of it was layering for the final climax I think; it would not have been as good without all of that before it. But it needed the ending to seem satisfying; I thought this was achieved very well and I think it just showed you how in depth Ferelith is as a person. Not just a character in a book.

I thought White Crow is a good book. It was more in depth than many I have read and it was very thought-provoking. However some of the things it made you think about, I think if you had a passion to know the answer, could drive you insane. There is no way to prove some things that are brought up in this book and thinking about them simply can make it seem more complicated. They are things that either won’t or it is near impossible to prove. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read about some things that may be disturbing in a rather gothic sense. I think that some would dislike it though because it could come across as just cryptic questions almost. There was a plot, and a story but I think this book really just made me think about subjects this book focused on and I think some people wouldn’t like to think about them.

By Jenna Yr8

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree because I normally hate gothic novels and horror story etc. all I read are girly cheerful novels. But I absolutely loved this book, it was a different kind of gothic. It intrigued me but at the same time made me think about things I had never thought about before. I think anyone can read it as long as you are interested in the topic of the book.
    Louise year 8

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.