Wednesday 25 May 2011

Monsters Of Men

By Patrick Ness.

This book is about Todd, Viola and the Mayor, who, as well as many other of there friends are involved in a war against the Spackle, on an unknown world. The war is in a helpless world and the three fractions have a struggle to win, or lose. This book is the third and final book in the series, after the ‘Ask and the Answer’ and ‘The Knife of Never Letting Go.

I found this book very difficult to get into as I thought to much unneeded information was given, making the book ‘drag on’ a little bit. I personally feel that the book could have been half the size. Although, I have said the above, I found this book really exiting once I got to about three quarters into the book as more action and suspense came into the book.

I also thought that the triple narrative was really effective in this book as it allowed you to see all aspects of the war and what was going on in all areas of the ‘New World’. My favourite narrative was Viola, as I though she had more feeling in her part, which I enjoyed. However, I also thought the way that Patrick Ness showed Todd’s situation in schooling by spelling incorrectly was really good as it gave it more depth and background into how long the war had been going on, and what some effects to young people such as Todd and Viola.

Overall, I didn't really enjoy this book for a while after I had started it, although it defiantly picked up towards the end and from that point on I really enjoyed it!

Jess year 8

2 comments:

  1. I disagree that the book dragged on a bit. I thought that you were thrown into the action straight away
    Ben year 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read the 1st 2 I never felt that it dragged on. I think the fact I had read the whole series added to it because it increases the amount you care about them, however, even had I read it straight off I think I would have loved it, and never for a second would I ask for less. I WANT MORE!!! *has slight craze before returning to a state of 'normalness' at least for me*.

    Do I need to say its me, Will YR8???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.