Monday 2 May 2011

Prisoner of the Inquisition

Prisoner of the Inquisition

By Theresa Breslin

When the holy inquisition comes to Zarita's town in Spain, her life loses all secrecy as everyone she loves is been watched carefully where ever they go. Saulo, who is a beggar’s son, leaves his home and doing so abandoning his sick mother. He follows his father into Zartias town where he has to painfully watch his father be hanged wrongfully. Saulo escapes death (being hung) but runs into a crowd of sailors who force him to work as a slave on sea. Over the duration of the book, Zarita and Saulo take separate journeys. As the Inquisition kills more and more people, Zarita and Saulo will meet once more.

The problem I had with this book is that it seemed to go on forever! Even if I had only read one page it felt is I had been reading for hours! Although, the book was very clear in the way of which the two characters narrated and why and what the effects of the inquisition were. Out of the two main characters my favourite was Zarita as she went more into her personal live that just the stories about the inquisition, which for me, gave it more depth. Although I have previously said that Zartita was my favourite character, was my overall favourite character was Zartia’s aunt as she was genuinely kind and considerate, and thought it more important to save those of whom she loved than herself.

Overall, I thought that this book was well written and contained a great deal of knowledge about the time when it was set as well as the effects and consequences of the Inquisition. However, I found it very hard to get into and there was not enough action towards the beginning. Although, I personally, would not read it again this dose not mean that others may not enjoy it!

Jess (Year 8)

1 comment:

  1. I completely disagree! I thought this book was exciting and that in some ways the plot was rushed. I read most of it in one day!
    Eleanor, year 8

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.