Thursday 19 May 2011

Out of The Shadows

Its 1983 and when Robert Jacklin moves to sunny Africa he sees how war really affects people. He meets people who Are still at war and are not going to stand down. People like Ivan Hascott, who believes that his country was wrongly stolen from him. It shows the affects the racism war had on people. Ivan may only be a school boy who didn’t even fight in the war but he still has very strong opinions about what went on. And is the new president’s (Mr Mugabe) intentions all good or does he still have some things he wants to settle with all the white people.

I absolutely love the book it is one of the best books I have ever read (if you read my other reviews you will find I have said this many times). I loved the way the characters were developed and they all had really deep emotions, it wasn’t just a kid who always bullied and was never nice all the characters have many different sides. I also love the way the plot thickens as you read. I also love the way from the first couple of pages you can’t tell what the book is about this really helps grip you.

It portrays bullying in a really powerful way and shows how atrocious the affects can be. My favourite character is probably Ivan because he has so many different sides. I love the way he can be really tough but also really soft and emotional and he always looks after his friends.

It is really good how there are so many twists in the story you think you know something and it all changes. I also enjoy the fact that at the end of nearly every chapter say something like ‘we were like brothers but he would of thought differently if he had of realised what I would do to him’ this makes you want to continue reading to find out what happens.

I loved the book and would recommend it to everyone not just people doing Carnegie. It is written as if he is in the future writing a diary about his past. Well done to Wallace for producing such a good book.

By Yasmin Year 7

3 comments:

  1. please comment and let me know what you think

    yasmin year 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm halfway through the book and totally agree with what you're saying! Definitely going to finish the book!
    Nathan, year 8

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Nathan :)

    Yasmin Year 7

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.