Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Death Defying Pepper Roux

By Geraldine McCaughrean.

Pepper Roux a fourteen year old boy, has never had a happy life. His whole live has been waiting for one day. The day he will die. When Pepper Roux was born his aunty claimed to have dreams sent from the saints that he will not live beyond his fourteenth birthday. But Pepper isn’t ready to die. In a desperate attempt to survive Pepper runs away from his family, his home and everything that he has ever had, to his fathers ship where he takes the possession of his father, as captain.

My favourite part in this book was when Pepper was Captain on his fathers’ ship as I found this a really descriptive part in the book. I also liked the way Pepper had no idea what to do! I thought Pepper was a really nice character, and cared about everyone’s feelings. McCaughrean also showed that Pepper did not have a happy life as he was always preparing to die, which for me, gave it more depth. Although I liked Pepper my favourite character was Dutchess as he was kind and really cared for everyone’s feelings! I thought the ‘sweetest’ line in the book was when Dutchess referred to Pepper as the son he never had!

Also, I thought that this book was really descriptive and interesting. However, the only problem I had with thins book is I found it quite hard to get into, although after the first little bit I didn’t want to put it down!

Overall, I really enjoyed the book as it had a great plot, great characters and great description! I would defiantly read it again and recommend it to anyone!

Jess, year 8

2 comments:

  1. what are the dutchesses adventures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what we've been asking! We only see the very briefest of glimpses into Dutchess's world, and he's such an amazing character. I really hope McCaughrean goes back to him one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.