Monday 2 May 2011

Out of Shadows

By Jason Wallace

Out of Shadows is a book about a boy called Robert who is from England but has moved to Zimbabwe, just after the 1980s war over racism. He faces many problems, mostly about who he should make friends with. His Father is keen for him to make friends with the black boy, Ivan, but Robert has to make the decision to stick by Ivan or make friends with the white children. He decides which side but later realises it could be the wrong decision.

My favourite bit of the book was when Robert realises he has made the wrong decision and regrets the choice he made. This is because it really made you feel sorry for him and it told you exactly how he felt. It was written well and I think this part in particular was detailed.

I didn't find this book hard to read and I really enjoyed it. I didn't find it too easy either. It is written from Robert's perspective. Not only did it tell you about Robert but it often told you how Robert's friends felt and you can tell their emotions from their actions in the book.

Overall, I thought this book was very good and interesting and enjoyed reading it.

Emily, Year 7

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this review as it clearly explains the story without giving spoilers! Before this review, this book wasn't the one I really wanted to read but now I've reconsidered! Thank you Emily!
    Emily 7HAL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.