Thursday 7 July 2011

My Name is MIna

David Almond

My Name is Mina was probably the most beautiful, thought provoking, faultless book I have read. It’s about a girl (Mina) who’s about my age, who is different from everyone else and evidently doesn’t fit into school life. She is homeschooled by her mother who Mina portrays as a loving and caring mother who is always on Mina’s side. Mina decides to write a diary where she will write about her life in whatever way she wants. She tells stories and events from when she was younger. Almond sets the pages out beautifully with a black background and white writing or huge letters that take up the whole page or even a blank page here or there. You wait in anticipation to see how the next page will be set out. It was a gorgeous book and made me think more than I have in a while and I saw aspects of the world in which I had never even thought about. For example Mina’s fascination in birds, she puts a whole new angle on them. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, I would recommend this to anyone who wants to be inspired by the world! The cliff-hanger was pure genius.

Louise Year 8

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! Looks as though you found almost exactly the same things to love in it as I did! Favourite book of the last year I think (yes, even above A Monster Calls...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.