Thursday 23 June 2011

Out of Shadows

By Jason Wallace


Out of Shadows is about a boy who is sent to a boarding school soon after the War ended and Rhodesia became Zimbabwe.

I thought this book would be more intense than it was. I was fully expecting to cry in this book…but I didn’t. The book was still good; I enjoyed it (despite some of the plot being rather cruel). My favourite character was probably the main character just because by the end of the book you felt closest to him. I’m not sure I would have liked him if I had known him in reality. He is only likeable because he feels regret and wishes he could change what he does as he is pressurised into it. However I think from another point of view you would not see this and he would come across as a cruel bully. 

I think the fact that the book was written in first person increased the emotion in the book. You felt a lot closer to the character. However I still thought there was a certain extra which should have been added, something small that would just increase the depth and complexity of the main character.

Out of Shadows I found didn’t have much description; just enough to set the atmosphere and the scene. Lots happened during the book and it was generally very graphic. This book didn’t especially stand out to me, it was  what I would consider a light read with some very cruel people. The characters weren’t especially well developed; they didn’t seem to have much character outside of their outlines.

Jenna, Year 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.