Friday 24 June 2011

The Hay Festival

Hay is a HUGE literary festival, held every year. This year the line up was amazing and I was very disappointed that I couldn't go!  But Molly did, AND she got a ticket to the event that I would have pulled out a fingernail to go to...

 On the 28th May, I went to see David Almond and Patrick Ness at the Hay Festival with my sister Gwen. David Almond was talking about his new book, My Name is Mina, and Patrick Ness was talking about his new book, A Monster Calls. First, they started talking about where they got the idea for the two books from. Patrick Ness had the same agent as Siobhan Dowd, who had an idea, and a beginning. They asked Patrick Ness to finish the book. This led on to writing a book, and talking about having to let a book grow, and go whichever way it wanted to, while still being true to the story. David Almond talked about his book, and how Mina made words into pictures, and wrote a story where nothing happened, which was just two empty pages. We saw the artwork from A Monster Calls. Afterwards, some people asked questions that I can’t quite remember.
Overall, I really enjoyed this event and it was great to see Patrick Ness and David Almond talking about their books!


  Patrick Ness's autograph to my sister Gwen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.