Thursday 23 June 2011

The Death Defying Pepper Roux

By Geraldine McCaughrean


Death Defying Pepper Roux

This book is about a boy called Paul Roux, whose death had been predicted at the age of 14; however when he is 14 he decides it is not his time to die.

I think this book had an interesting concept but I didn’t like it. Pepper Roux just seems to change too much. I know the idea is that he does but I don’t think the transitions are smooth enough. He doesn’t try recreating the people; he just fills in their life with his personality and presence.

My favourite character would have to be Duchess. He seemed the most developed and sincere character. He is the sort of person I’d like to believe most people were like. Just because he seems to care about what happens to Pepper and he sincerely cares about more than just money. Which is what most of the book was based on I believe, money, jealousy and disappearing. I think Pepper would have been better if he stayed in one place longer. During the whole course of the book I think time only moved forward just under a year. I think he should have stayed in different places longer just so he could increase the emotions and relationships between Pepper and the other characters. I think that would have made the whole book stronger.

I also found sometimes that the book was a bit vague, most of the world was left to your imagination. Sometimes I find this really effective but in this case it happened with too many scenes. I don’t remember everything. It wasn’t an amazing book and I found it difficult to get into but I can see why some would like it. I did think this book was thought provoking but only when it was pointed out.
‘People see what they expect to see, don’t they?’

Jenna Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.