Thursday 5 April 2012

A Monster Calls

By Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls is about a boy called Conor. His single mum is struggling with cancer and his dad rarely bothers to visit. He hates his grandma, the only person who can look after him, and his only friend has betrayed him. One night a monster visits him in a dream. But not the one he’s been expecting. Not the one from the nightmare. But this monster could be even more dangerous. This one wants the truth.
This book was amazing. Even though the plot contained very little action, it gripped me the whole way through. I cried so much at the ending, and it felt as though I was Conor – living through the terror and despair of his situation. The stories within this story were really interesting and couldn’t wait for the next one. The twists and the end were fantastic, but they also made me think, about what we believe to be wrong and right and whether there actually is a wrong or right, good or evil.
My favourite character was by far the first monster, the yew tree. He carried an air of mystery throughout the story. He seemed like he could be trusted, yet could be deceptive. He seemed friendly, but it could just be an act. He was an unusual monster, one that may not have really been a monster at all. For me, this character fitted in perfectly with the theme and plot of the story.
Not only did I love the story, but I loved the pictures too. They were haunting and strangely beautiful, and they captured the essence of the story perfectly. The book wouldn’t have been the same without them.
The book was amazing. I loved it and wouldn’t want a thing to be changed. I smiled, I cried, but I felt like I was part of the book, which was incredible.
Molly, Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.