Saturday 31 March 2012

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

By Annabel Pitcher

This book is about ten year old Jamie whose sister died when he was five. He hasn't cried since she was killed and now five years later, his family is falling apart. His Dad drinks and his Mum has left, leaving him and his sister Jas to look after each other. Jamie must try and work things through with his Dad, Mum and sister to answer questions about his dead sister.

I really enjoyed this book and I read it realy quickly. It made me cry in some parts and I really felt sorry for Jamie, because he couldn't help the way his family was and it was changing the way he acted at school.

The characters were really good because I think tha if that kind of tradgedy had hit a family I'm sure their reactions would be similar. They were really believable and even through everything had happened I recognised things that even cmpletely normal kids would do.

The plot was clever, I didn't really know how he would sort things out. I really liked how some simple things that you didn't think mattered lead to more important parts in the story.

I really loved this book, although it wasnt what I was expecting, and it made me cry, but I thought it was really good. I loved the plot and Pitcher has really made me feel for the characters.

By Emily B, Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.