Wednesday 11 April 2012

My Name is Mina

By David Almond

My Name Is Mina is the prequel to David Almond’s novel Skellig. It is written in the style of a diary, as Mina writes down her thoughts, feelings and stories leading up to meeting Michael, and her entrance into Skellig.
I really liked how Almond showed Mina’s character through the style and layout of the book, as she was a very eccentric person. This was very clear in Skellig, but in My Name Is Mina, you saw more of the way she thought and her point of view on things. It was very different to most books, as it didn’t have much of a plot, but was filled with Mina’s thoughts and stories. I liked the stories about Mina in school, but the rest was boring. Her view on the world was interesting and made you think, but there was no action, anticipation or mystery. I found the whole book quite dull, and skim-read most of it.
Mina. However, was a lovely character, albeit odd and misunderstood. She looked and the world in a different way to anyone I’ve ever known or read about. I felt bad for her, because she was bullied for this, as she was the type of character that I would have loved to know in real life.
Although I didn’t enjoy it all that much, it was a really sweet book and having read Skellig, it was great to know more about Mina.
Molly, Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.