Tuesday 27 September 2011

Mr Gum and the Secret Hideout

By Andy Stanton

Young Polly and her old friend Friday are forced to save Lamonic Bibber once again when Mr Gum and his evil cronies cook up another scheme to pollute the town and conquer the world. The ‘Department of Clouds and Yoghurts’ investigates the funny smell, behaviour of clouds, and disappearance of meat to try and find Mr Gum before it’s too late. But will Polly save the day…?

This book was interesting in places but I personally found the plot a bit predictable. I think it is more suited to younger readers as I think they would enjoy it more. In this series of ‘Mr Gum’, Stanton has created a group of fun and classic characters who all follow suit and give you a great children’s story. I didn’t have a favourite but I thought Friday was really fun as he was your traditional old man.

In places this book was funny with mild, humour, but mostly I didn’t really connect with it. The illustrations added another dimension to the book which I think would really help more inexperienced readers to picture what’s happening.

Overall I didn’t really enjoy this book as I think it is more suitable for younger readers.

By Eleanor,
Year 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.