Monday 19 September 2011

My Name is Mina

By David Almond

‘My name is Mina’ is about a creative little girl called Mina. She constantly writes in her diary up her favourite tree which she shares with a family of birds. Thought out the book we learn about Mina’s thoughts and dreams as well as her past life where Mina gets up to all sorts.

I think this is a truly beautiful book what with the birds, inside thoughts and the way Mina turned words in a notebook into a fantastic piece of art. The way Almond has laid out the book is amazing. The way the fonts change and the page layout is done to full effect and makes the diary seem more realistic.

Mina is an amazing character which I think David Almond has done to her full potential. Her crazy little stories and they way she looks at life can only make you smile. Mina is so lively and feisty, and yet when she spills her emotions onto a page she seems so vulnerable and hopeless. Perhaps she would put it as she is a little egg in a nest that has no one to go to.

Overall, a fabulous, touching book, unlike one I have ever read!

By Jess year 9.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of my favourite books of the last year. I think the Carnegie next year will be an epic battle between this and A Monster Calls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.