Tuesday 2 August 2011

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece - Annabel Pitcher

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece is about Jamie, a boy whose sister was killed by Muslim bombs in London. He finds it hard to grieve for her, because he never really knew her, but he feels pressured by the rest of his family to mourn. One day, after his mum and dad split up, he moves to the country with his dad and other sister, Jas, and befriends a Muslim girl. He doesn’t know what to do.
I thought this book was beautiful, and I found that I could really empathize with the characters. I felt really sorry, for Jamie when he met Sunya, and then felt he couldn’t be friends with her because of his dad and sister. I think it was written really well from a young boy’s point of view.
Sunya was definitely my favourite character, because of her carefree personality and determination to be friends with Jamie, even after he told her why they couldn’t be friends.
I thought that this was a very moving book, but I didn’t find that it gripped me, and I found it quite hard to get through it at some points. For that it gets 8/10.
Molly
Year 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.