Thursday 28 April 2011

The Death Defying Pepper Roux

By Geraldine McCaughrean

This book was good. Not amazing enough to win the medal, but still good. It is about 14 year old Pepper Roux who has all his life been told by his Aunt that he would die on his 14th birthday. He doesn't die, so goes on a run from his death, taking on multiple personalities as he goes. He is always scared he is going to die, so any small accident he thinks was sent from the angels and saints to kill him. This gives the book an interesting perspective.
The story line can be a bit weak at points, it can be overwritten and sometimes not make complete sense. This isn't a book to be pouring over for hours, I found it was best to read it as quickly as you can. The characters are all really interesting though, most have a hidden back story you find out about. You can tell the author spent a long time creating the characters.

One of my favourite characters was Yvette Roche. She is quite quiet and mysterious when Pepper first meets her, but as the book goes on she reveals more of her lovely personality. Also, Duchess is a really interesting and fun character.

Overall I liked this book. I do not think I would reread, but it is perfect if you want a light and fun read. I give this book 6.75/10.
By Elle, Year 8

1 comment:

  1. Elle, thanks for this review. I like the way you've picked up on differences in the quality of different aspects of the book: that the characters are well-drawn, but that the writing overall isn't always entirely clear. Reviewers sometimes dismiss a book altogether if they don't like one part of it, but you've taken a more balanced approach.

    I often get put off a book if I don't enjoy the writing style, so this is useful advice to me personally. I'll read this book when I'm looking for a quick story, not when I'm in the mood for serious literature!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.