Monday 31 October 2011

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

By Jennifer E. Smith


This book is about a seventeen year old girl who is (against her will) forced to go to her father’s wedding. Her father had left her and her mother about 1 and a half years ago after meeting a lady in England. Hadley is very angry with her Dad and has spent as long as she can to avoid him but now she must face him. Not only does she have to fly all the way to England for a wedding she doesn’t want to go to but she has to fly whilst having a fear of claustrophobia! Who would’ve thought that one boy would brighten up her day?

I thought that both of the main characters were very likeable. I thought that Oliver was quite believable as you think he’s perfect at the start but you get to see the other side to him towards the end – the more human side! I found the Charlotte (the Dad’s fiancée) a bit predictable because in most plot lines where someone gets a stepmother they think the stepmother will be horrible but she turns out to be nice. This is the same for this book, however I did like her character. Perhaps because all the characters in the book were likeable it would’ve been nice to have one unlikable person to make it stir up the plot a bit.

I absolutely loved the plot line! I think it was a great idea to set most of it in a plane, it makes the love between Hadley and Oliver seem more magical. I thought that I would’ve liked a little bit more dialogue between Oliver and Hadley because we only hear a few clips of them talking and I think it would add to the big picture to see how they talk to each other (relaxed, tense etc.). I loved the twist at the end with Oliver I think it makes the story line fit together nicely.

Overall I would happily read this book over and over again, it’s very easy to read yet its gripping and I enjoyed it thoroughly. My favourite part was when she poured out her troubles to her Dad; you finally know that everything will be ok between her and her Dad. I think this book would make a great film, it has the right plot line and feel to it. I would recommend this to any girl who wants a light hearted, romantic read.

By Louise Year 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we'd love to hear from you! Sorry for the moderation, but as a school blog it's strictly necessary. We'll get it through soon!

Students - please leave only your first name and year group, no full names will make it through moderation.